Monday, November 26, 2007

Gathering momentum

Matters are certainly developing - indeed changing from day to day at the moment!

This week was always going to be busy. Initially the plan was just the Macmillan nurse on Tuesday(tomorrow), and the rearranged scan on Wednesday. However, the Macmillan nurse had been in contact with various people following her last visit (see previous post), because the clinical psychologist came to see Sue last Friday afternoon, after the district nurses from the local doctors surgery who came Friday morning. They must have gone back and had a word with our GP, because then we had a call to say he would be coming to see Sue for himself this morning.

So he came late morning, and we had a useful chat about how Sue is and what to do about adjusting the pain-killers a bit. He also wanted to know about daily life; so we said that the pain is more or less under control, but that she has little appetite and is weak and unsteady on her feet. Bathing and dressing have needed help for a while (not that she actually gets dressed very often); but going up and down stairs needs support, and taking tablets needs help too (all too easy for unsteady hands to drop them!). He could see that she is weaker than when he last came.

Before leaving he said that he would arrange another blood transfusion, hopefully on Wednesday when she will be in hospital anyway. That however proved impossible, so she will be going in tomorrow instead for what will probably be a long day - a 3-unit transfusion could be 6-9 hours. Then back on Wednesday for the scan, drain, and recuperate; how long that will take we have no idea. I will drop her at the hospital tomorrow, but stay all day (if allowed) on Wednesday.

The other call we had last Friday afternoon was from one of the nurses at the Sue Ryder, asking if we could go up there for an hour to have a look round and meet people - nursing staff as well as the occupational therapist. So, if Sue is fit enough after two days at the hospital, we will go there for an hour on Thursday. Sue does not particularly want to ("It's where people go to die"); but hopefully it will be a useful and unpressured visit. Then the Macmillan nurse (who was going to come tomorrow) wants to come later on Thursday afternoon after we get back, with more questions and forms!

In some ways I can understand Sue's feeling of being a bit overwhelmed and losing control. However, it is a blessing that the support systems are there and accessible, so we have much to thank the Lord for.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh you poor loves - it does indeed seem rather overwhelming to confront all these new people and situations at once. Today being Tuesday, I'm specially praying for the strength that you'll need to begin this round. I'm specially hoping that Sue feels well enough to view Sue Ryder from a positive perspective.
Love and blessings

Jonathan Hunt said...

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

Ev'ry step is getting brighter,
As the golden stairs I climb;
Ev'ry burden's getting lighter;
Ev'ry cloud is silver lined.
There the sun is always shining,
There no tear will dim the eyes,
At the ending of the rainbow,
Where the mountains touch the sky.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

I don't know about tomorrow,
It may bring me poverty;
But the One Who feeds the sparrow,
Is the One Who stands by me.
And the path that be my portion,
May be through the flame or flood,
But His presence goes before me,
And I'm covered with His blood.

Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

By Ira Stanphill