Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Best laid plans....

Pleased to say that the transfusion yesterday went well. It was nearly 9 hours as expected (starting just after 9am, allowed home at nearly 6pm); and she seemed a bit brighter in the evening and this morning.

The scan today however wasn't a scan at all! In fact it was an ultrasound-guided drainpipe insertion. We were told that the procedure itself wouldn't last long, and it didn't; but in our innocence (prior to the event) we thought that "that would be it" - but it wasn't! The draining process did not start until she was back on the scanning ward; and suffice to say that six litres had been drained off in the hour or so before the nurses from the onology ward came to collect her.

The whole thing will therefore take rather longer than we thought, as she will now be staying overnight - to be allowed out at some point tomorrow, when they are satisfied that every drainable drop has come out. Not sure if they will keep a tally, or if we will be allowed to know, but it would be interesting!

As a result, the planned visit to the Sue Ryder and the planned visit from the Macmillan nurse (both scheduled for tomorrow afternoon) have been cancelled, to be rearranged at some point.

Life has its twists and turns doesn't it? It's a relief to know that nothing happens by chance though - for OUR GOD REIGNS! Everything, every event, every puzzling change, is all under His comlete and loving control. As a dear brother recently emailed me (quoting from a hymn by Ira Stanphill):-

I don't know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine,
For its skies may turn to gray.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said,
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.


Many things about tomorrow,
I don't seem to understand;
But I know Who holds tomorrow,
And I know Who holds my hand.

No comments: