Monday, May 07, 2007

Interlude

As you will know, in the goodness of the Lord Sue is having a break from the chemo for a few weeks. We are due to see the consultant on May 24th; what happens after that is unknown to us, but known and planned by our Heavenly Father who will give us - as the need arises - all the grace and and strength we need to cross each bridge we come to in the way to glory.

Meanwhile, rather than leave the blog dormant for a month,I thought I would post some hymns, and this is one that "came to my attention" before the service last night. I found it helpful to meditate on for a few minutes, as many have done over the years; the truths are timeless, as is evidenced by the fact that the author and the translator lived so long ago. Our God is the LORD, and He never changes and is always faithful.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be for ever with the Lord;
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Katherina von Schlegel, b. 1697
Translated by Jane Laurie Borthwick, 1837-1897

No comments: